Gloom Lyrics - Djo

Gloom Lyrics by Djo. Lyrics in English, official video, details and meaning.
Gloom Lyrics - Djo

Introduction

"Gloom" is a song by Djo, the musical project of actor and musician Joe Keery, released on 25 July 2022 as a single from his second album DECIDE. It is written by Joe Keery and Adam Thein, who also produced the record, and released through Djo Music and AWAL. Over two frantic minutes, Keery lists every reason he is desperate to leave a party - and a friendship - behind.
On this page you will find the complete Gloom lyrics, the full song details, the official audio video and a simple explanation of the song's meaning.

The Song

Gloom is a panic attack set to new wave. A friendship has curdled - the other person went behind his back to settle a score - and the verses spiral through excuses to escape: he left his wallet at the bar, his dog is expecting him, his back is giving out, the music sucks, the city sucks. The joke structure hides a real feeling, because every excuse is just the polite version of the truth he finally shouts - "I never liked it, I belong on the road, so goodbye".

The Artist

Djo is the stage name of Joe Keery, known worldwide as Steve Harrington in Stranger Things, who records psych-pop and new wave entirely on his own terms. DECIDE, his second album, was made with co-producer Adam Thein and leans into jittery synths, talk-sung verses and choruses that arrive like a door slamming on the way out.

The Music Video

Gloom was released with an official audio video, titled "Djo - Gloom (Official Audio)", on the Djo Music YouTube channel. You can listen to the official video embedded below on this page.

The Music Label

DECIDE was released independently through Djo Music with distribution by AWAL Recordings, and the official audio sits on the Djo Music channel, linked in the Song Details table below.

Song Details

SongGloom
AlbumDECIDE
SingerDjo
LyricsJoe Keery, Adam Thein
MusicDjo, Adam Thein
LanguageEnglish
Music LabelDjo Music / AWAL
Released25 July 2022

Gloom Lyrics in English

And now I'm ready to go
I'm sick of hanging out
And now I'm ready to go
I told you that our friendship
Couldn't handle much more
But then you went behind
My back to settle the score

So goodbye, farewell
Go fu*k your mother
Go fu*k yourself

And so I walk out the door
Your insults don't affect me
With my favorite coat on
I know my hair looked good
In the bathroom at the bar
Turns out I left my wallet
At the bathroom bar

That's life
That's death
Your girlfriend scares me
She's got bad breath

Take off my shirt and socks I'm ready to go
Wash out my hair dye and I'm ready to go
Remove my shirt and tie, I'm ready to go
Undress you with my eyes, I'm ready to go
I measure up to you, I'm ready to go
I smoked my cigarettes, I'm ready to go
My eyes are dry as hell, I'm ready to go
My back is giving out, I'm ready to go

I need to walk my dog, I'm ready to go
My dog's expecting me, I'm ready to go
I hate this temperature, I'm ready to go
This music sucks to me, I'm ready to go
Oh! Yeah!

These people stress me out, I'm ready to go
I'm growing quite unwell, I'm ready to go
I hate this city yes I'm ready to go
Oh! No
I never liked it I belong on the road
So goodbye

Lyrics Meaning in English

Despite its title, Gloom is not a sad song - it is an escape song. The singer has realised that a friendship has turned poisonous, and instead of exploding he hides behind a landslide of small, ridiculous reasons to leave, from his forgotten wallet to his waiting dog. The comedy is the point: anyone who has ever stood trapped at a party, rehearsing exit lines, will recognise it. Only at the very end does the politeness drop - he never liked this place, he belongs on the road, and the door closing behind him is the happiest sound on the record.

Watch the Official Video

Conclusion

Two minutes, a dozen excuses and one slammed door - Gloom is the funniest, fastest cut on DECIDE and the moment Djo's new-wave experiment fully caught fire. If it made you grin, explore more English lyrics on Muxic Leaks through the related posts above.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who sang the song Gloom?

Gloom is performed by Djo, the musical project of actor and musician Joe Keery.

Who wrote Gloom?

Gloom was written by Joe Keery and Adam Thein, who also produced the track together.

Which album is Gloom from?

Gloom is from Djo's second studio album DECIDE (2022), and it was released as a single on 25 July 2022.

What does Gloom by Djo mean?

In Gloom, the singer lists excuse after excuse - his wallet, his dog, his back, the music, the city - because he desperately wants to leave a party and end a friendship that has turned against him. The repeated line "I'm ready to go" is both the joke and the truth of the song.

Is Djo the same person as Joe Keery from Stranger Things?

Yes. Djo is the stage name of Joe Keery, the actor who plays Steve Harrington in Stranger Things; he writes, sings and co-produces all of Djo's music.

About the Author

"Hi, I'm Asad Ghazanfar - a passionate music enthusiast with a love for movies, songs, and lyrics. As the author of this blog, I aim to provide accurate and engaging song lyrics in every language. With my background in music and my attentio…

Post a Comment

Please drop you valuable comments here 👇
Cookie Consent
We serve cookies on this site to analyze traffic, remember your preferences, and optimize your experience.
Oops!
It seems there is something wrong with your internet connection. Please connect to the internet and start browsing again.
AdBlock Detected!
We have detected that you are using adblocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we earn by the advertisements is used to manage this website, we request you to whitelist our website in your adblocking plugin.
Site is Blocked
Sorry! This site is not available in your country.