Introduction
"Man I Need" is a song by English singer-songwriter Olivia Dean, from her second studio album The Art of Loving. Released as a single on 15 August 2025 on Capitol Records, it is a bossa nova and soul-pop love song in which Olivia asks her partner to stop sending mixed signals and simply say what he feels. The song topped charts around the world and has now spent months at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 in 2026, becoming the biggest hit of her career. Its official video, directed by Jake Erland, plays on the song's push and pull: a studio set that keeps being built and struck around her while she waits for one honest conversation. On this page you will find the complete Man I Need lyrics in English, along with the lyrics meaning, the official video, complete song details and answers to the questions listeners ask most often about this song.
The Song
"Man I Need" is built on a swaying bossa nova groove, fingerpicked guitar and Zach Nahome's warm, unhurried production. Over it, Olivia Dean sings with a smile you can hear: she and her partner keep making up for lost time, a satellite is not even that far, and yet he still will not say the words. The pre-chorus admits he is already on her mind, and the chorus turns that feeling into a gentle demand: just come be the man I need, talk to me. The post-chorus, a bouncing chant of "be the man that I need, baby", became one of the most shared hooks of the year. It is a love song with its feet on the ground: romantic, but tired of guessing, asking for honesty over mystery.
The Artists
Olivia Dean is a BRIT Award-winning English singer from London whose soulful voice and everyday storytelling made her one of the defining pop voices of the decade. Her debut album Messy introduced her warm, diary-like writing, and The Art of Loving turned it into a global moment. She co-wrote "Man I Need" with Tobias Jesso Jr., the Canadian songwriter behind songs for Adele and Harry Styles, and Zach Nahome, who also produced the track. Together they gave the song its mix of classic soul manners and modern pop directness.
The Music Video
The official music video, directed by Jake Erland, is shot in a film studio where a crew keeps constructing and deconstructing the set around Olivia Dean as she sings: walls rise, furniture arrives and disappears, and a dance partner keeps almost meeting her. It visualises the song perfectly: everything is ready for love except the words. The video premiered with the single in August 2025 on Olivia Dean's official YouTube channels and has been viewed hundreds of millions of times.
The Music Label
"Man I Need" was released by Capitol Records, the historic Hollywood label founded in 1942 and home to generations of landmark artists, as a single from Olivia Dean's album The Art of Loving. You can find the label on its official YouTube channel through the link in the Song Details table below.
You may want to read this post :
Song Details
| Song: | Man I Need |
| Singer: | Olivia Dean |
| Lyrics: | Olivia Dean, Tobias Jesso Jr., Zach Nahome |
| Music: | Zach Nahome |
| Album: | The Art of Loving |
| Director: | Jake Erland |
| Music Label: | Capitol Records |
| Language: | English |
Man I Need Lyrics in English
Talk to me, talk to me
Talk to me, talk to me
Hm
Looks like we're making up for lost time
Need you to spell it out for me
Bossa nova on all night
It's like a type of alchemy
Introduce me to your best friend
I can come and slot right in
A satellite ain't even that far
I, I kinda wonder where you are
Already know I can't leave it alone
You're on my mind, mm
Already gave you the time and the place
So, don't be shy
Just come be the man I need
Tell me you got something to give, I want it
I kinda like it when you call me "wonderful"
Whatever the type of talk it is, come on then
I gotta know you're meant to be the man I need
Talk to me, talk to me
Mm, talk to me, talk to me
Be the man that I need, baby
Talk to me, talk to me
Be the man that I need, need, need
Talk to me, talk to me
Be the man that I need, baby
Talk to me, talk to me
Be the man, man, man, man, man
I'd like to think you feel the same way
But I can't tell with you sometimes
So, baby, let's get on the same page
Stop making me read between the lines
Already know I can't leave it alone
You're on my mind, mm
Already gave you the time and the place
So, don't be shy
Just come be the man I need
Tell me you got something to give, I want it
I kinda like it when you call me "wonderful"
Whatever the type of talk it is, come on then
I gotta know you're meant to be the man I need
Talk to me, talk to me
Mm, talk to me, talk to me
Be the man that I need, baby
Talk to me, talk to me
Be the man that I need, need, need
Talk to me, talk to me
Be the man that I need, baby
Talk to me, talk to me
Be the man, man, man, man, man
Mm-mm, mm-mm, mm
Mm-mm, mm-mm, mm-mm, mm-mm, mm
Man I Need Lyrics Meaning
The meaning of "Man I Need" is a plea for emotional honesty. Olivia Dean sings as a woman who knows exactly what she wants: not gifts, not mystery, but a partner who talks to her and shows up as the man she believes he can be. The verses admit how close they already are, making up for lost time, close enough that "a satellite ain't even that far", yet she still has to read between the lines. The chorus refuses games: "whatever the type of talk it is, come on then", any honest conversation is welcome. Even the playful post-chorus carries the same message: be the man that I need. The song works because its demand is delivered as joy: it is not an ultimatum screamed in anger but a standard sung with a smile, which is why listeners adopted it as an anthem for clear, grown-up love.
Watch the Official Video
Conclusion
"Man I Need" is Olivia Dean at her most irresistible: a bossa-kissed soul-pop song that asks for honesty and delivers pure warmth. Its chorus is one of the era's defining hooks, and its message, say what you feel, could not be simpler or stronger. Save this page for the complete Man I Need lyrics in English, the official video, the song details and the meaning, and explore the related posts below for more of today's biggest songs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who wrote Man I Need?
Man I Need was written by Olivia Dean, Tobias Jesso Jr. and Zach Nahome, and produced by Zach Nahome.
Which album is Man I Need from?
Man I Need is from Olivia Dean's second studio album The Art of Loving, released in 2025.
Who directed the Man I Need music video?
The official video for Man I Need was directed by Jake Erland and premiered with the single in August 2025.
What does Man I Need mean?
The song is about asking a partner for honest communication: stop the mixed signals, talk to me, and be the man I need.
Which label released Man I Need?
Man I Need was released by Capitol Records in 2025.

