Introduction
"Maggots For Brains" is a song by American singer-songwriter Olivia Rodrigo, from her third studio album you seem pretty sad for a girl so in love, released on 12 June 2026 on Geffen Records. A scrappy rock song about the hollow, zombie-like days after a break-up, when your body is present but your brain has checked out, it arrived with an official lyric video and quickly became one of the album's most talked-about tracks, debuting on the Billboard Hot 100 in the album's first chart week. On this page you will find the complete Maggots For Brains lyrics in English, along with the lyrics meaning, the official video, complete song details and answers to the questions listeners ask most often about this song.
The Song
"Maggots For Brains" was written by Olivia Rodrigo with her long-time producer Dan Nigro and songwriter Amy Allen, and produced by Dan Nigro. It opens mid-fog: a mundane day, a pot of coffee, nothing coming out when she tries to write, a party attended only on principle. Then the chorus lands its knockout image: "I'm a zombie in my body, I'm a train off of the track, I feel dirty, I feel rotten, and the colors are all flat", a sad shell of a woman with maggots for brains, and all of it happens only "when my baby goes away". The second verse is just as unflinching: everything feels moldy, every joke belongs to him, and at her lowest she even wishes for a tragedy because she knows he would come over and take care of her. It is heartbreak rendered as slapstick horror, funny and devastating at once.
The Artists
Olivia Rodrigo is the Grammy-winning American singer-songwriter whose albums SOUR and GUTS made her the defining pop diarist of her generation. Dan Nigro, the former As Tall As Lions frontman turned super-producer, has shaped her sound since "drivers license" and co-wrote and produced this track. Amy Allen, one of pop's most in-demand songwriters (Sabrina Carpenter, Harry Styles, Halsey, and her own Grammy-nominated solo work), completes a writing trio that specialises in turning private spirals into stadium confessionals.
The Music Video
The official lyric video for "Maggots For Brains" premiered on Olivia Rodrigo's official YouTube channel with the album in June 2026, putting the song's wicked one-liners front and centre as the words themselves. It is the official video embedded below, the perfect format for a track whose writing is the main event.
The Music Label
"Maggots For Brains" was released by Geffen Records, the Interscope Geffen A&M label founded by David Geffen in 1980 and long Olivia Rodrigo's home. You can visit the label's official YouTube channel through the link in the Song Details table below.
You may want to read this post :
Song Details
| Song: | Maggots For Brains |
| Singer: | Olivia Rodrigo |
| Lyrics: | Olivia Rodrigo, Dan Nigro, Amy Allen |
| Music: | Dan Nigro |
| Album: | you seem pretty sad for a girl so in love |
| Music Label: | Geffen Records |
| Language: | English |
Maggots For Brains Lyrics in English
My day was so mundane, I don't think I left the house
Drank a pot of coffee, tried to write, nothing came out
Somehow, it's the weekend, I'm still bored out of my skull
And I went to a party but only on principle
Empty, look at me
I'm a zombie in my body
I'm a train off of the track
I feel dirty, I feel rotten, and the colors are all flat
I'm a sad shell of a woman and I've got maggots for brains
But that's just the thing that happens when my
When my baby goes away
When my baby goes away
He goes away
Everything feels moldy like the fruit that's in my fridge
And everything that's funny, I wish I could tell to him
And sometimes, at a low point, I even wish for a tragedy
'Cause I know he'd come over and take real good care of me
It's weird, he's not here
I'm a zombie in my body
I'm a train off of the track
I feel dirty, I feel rotten, and the colors are all flat
I'm a sad shell of a woman and I've got maggots for brains
But that's just the thing that happens when my
When my baby goes away
When my baby goes away
He goes away, oh
What can I do
But think of you?
But think of you?
What can I do
But think of you?
But think of you?
I'm a zombie in my body
I'm a train off of the track
I feel dirty, I feel rotten, and the colors are all flat
I'm a sad shell of a woman and I've got maggots for brains
But that's just the thing that happens when my
When my baby goes away
What can I do
But think of you?
But think of you?
Maggots For Brains Lyrics Meaning
The meaning of "Maggots For Brains" is break-up brain, described without a single filter. Olivia Rodrigo sings as someone whose boyfriend's absence has switched her off: housebound, over-caffeinated, unable to write, bored at parties she only attended on principle. The title image, maggots for brains, is her verdict on herself: a zombie in her own body, a train off the track, colours gone flat. Verse two turns the joke darker: everything feels moldy, every funny thing belongs to him, and in her lowest moment she wishes for a tragedy simply because tragedy would bring him through the door to take care of her. The bridge strips away the jokes entirely: "What can I do but think of you?" That is the song's real subject: not maggots, but a mind that, however rotten it feels, only has one thought left in it.
Watch the Official Video
Conclusion
"Maggots For Brains" might be the most brutally funny song Olivia Rodrigo has ever released: a break-up anthem that describes heartbreak as full-body malfunction and still lands every emotional punch. Save this page for the complete Maggots For Brains lyrics in English, the official lyric video, the song details and the meaning, and check the related posts below for more of today's biggest songs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who wrote Maggots For Brains?
Maggots For Brains was written by Olivia Rodrigo, Dan Nigro and Amy Allen, and produced by Dan Nigro.
Which album is Maggots For Brains from?
Maggots For Brains is from Olivia Rodrigo's third album you seem pretty sad for a girl so in love, released on 12 June 2026.
What does Maggots For Brains mean?
The song describes post-break-up numbness: she feels like a zombie with maggots for brains whenever her baby goes away, and all she can do is think of him.
Is there a music video for Maggots For Brains?
The song was released with an official lyric video on Olivia Rodrigo's YouTube channel, which is the video embedded on this page.
Which label released Maggots For Brains?
Maggots For Brains was released by Geffen Records in 2026.

